School is Bad for Kids

Camila Gonzalez, Staff Writer, Sports Editor

The school system has killed a student’s individuality and creativity in a way where it takes away a student’s capacity to be different and think outside the box. Teachers have all been taught to teach in the same way, assuming every student will learn the same way. To quote Albert Einstein, one of the greatest thinkers in the modern world, “If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.”

Students are taught that if they work hard and do well, they will go to college and get a job. But who determines how hard you work or how well you’re doing? Your teacher? Your grades? Neither define how hard you work nor how intelligent you are.  For example, let’s say someone has an F in a class and works hard enough to get it up to a C; it’s not a great grade but the student worked hard for it and believed they did good enough to get it that far, and yet the school will contradict his ability to do better by the grade they received. We come to school to compete for a grade, a high GPA, numbers and letters that define us.

“I don’t believe a student’s grades should define their intelligence,” Jocelyn Garcia, junior, said. “To a certain extent it does, because it shows that you are trying and understand that material, but there are students who are extremely intelligent but lack with their grades and there are some students who can be passing a class only by the ‘help’ of other students. They don’t understand the material, but as long as they ‘do’ their homework and receive help on their tests they’ll get those good grades without even knowing anything.”

We are expected to go to school for twelve years and graduate high school knowing what we want to do with our life. The truth is, school doesn’t prepare us for the real world, or help us decipher what we want to do or study once we leave. We are made to sit in a classroom for eight hours a day learning things that aren’t necessary to know. For example, instead of teaching us about finding the slope of a line or the structure of an atom, students should get the same opportunity to learn how to fill out job applications, manage money to pay bills and buy a house. Those are the skills you need to actually live in the real world. Other subjects should be optional to those who plan on doing something involving that.

“I would change the classes students have to take in order to graduate as not everyone needs four years of math for what they want to do in their life.” Jose Serna, junior, agreed.

For eight hours a day we are told what to think, not giving the students any room for individuality or creativity. If we stray from what we are told to do, we get in trouble. When you’re young, in elementary school, you are told to be creative and constantly think outside of the box for certain situations, why does that change as you grow up, and start high school? Rules are stricter about what you should or shouldn’t do and what’s right and what isn’t.

“People are expected to remember the work that others have done before them instead of exploring their own methods of creativity.” Christopher Gutierrez, senior, said. “Students are constantly drilled to be a certain way and are disciplined when they break the cycle.”

School is here to guide us in the path we want to go, but how do you know what path to take when they’re all going the same way? Many students are talented but yet are shadowed by their ability to do well in school. We are taught about those who made it in life by being successful in an educational level but get taught nothing of those more successful in the music industry or any other alternative industry. The school system puts us into a mold in which we don’t have much of a say in where we want to go or how we’re going to get there. Isn’t it our decision?

“It’s a flawed system that needs reforms and desperately needs improvement.” Brian Molina, junior, said.