Filed under News, Showcase, Sports

Coach McDaniel Wins On and Off the Field

Back to Article
Back to Article

Coach McDaniel surprises girlfriend Monique Bygrave with an engagement ring before the home game against Vista Del Lago on November 4. McDaniel recruited some of his friends and students to help with surprising Bygrave, his girlfriend of eight years, with a proposal.

Love was in the air at the big football game against Vista Del Lago when Mr. McDaniel, history teacher and varsity football coach, proposed to his girlfriend on the field.

On November 4th, the MVHS Vikings faced the Vista Del Lago Ravens in a highly-charged game.  It was a win/win situation for the Viking family that night, with the Vikings walking away with a win, and Coach McDaniel walking away with a fiance.

In addition to it being a rivalry game, it was also senior night, which occurs on the last home game of the season. It is a night to honor the seniors on the football team and commemorate their last home game. The tradition is that seniors gather their families and walk in between two rows of students while an announcer states their name, and what they desire to do in their future after high school.

Before the game began, McDaniel asked junior Jacari McKinney, defensive end,  to walk Monique Bygrave, McDaniel’s girlfriend of eight years, down a pathway created by underclassmen. At the end of the pathway, McDaniel was waiting to ask Bygrave to be his wife.

Some people were confused why a junior was walking her down the pathway instead of a senior.

McDaniel said that he chose to propose at MVHS and include people like Mr. Benitez and McKinney in the event because he feels like they are an important part of his life.

“They are a part of my family and so is the football team,” McDaniel said.

McKinney said he felt honored to be included in McDaniel’s special moment.

“Coach McDaniel had told me before the game that he wanted me to walk her down the pathway because he has a lot of respect for me,” McKinney said. “I’ve known him since my older brother played for moval and I’ve been practicing with the team since my 7th grade year.”

Students, coaches, and several of McDaniel’s friends and family were watching the events unfold.

“Witnessing coach McDaniel propose was such an amazing feeling,” Sabrina Martinez, senior, said. “It felt so unreal.”

Once McDaniel got on one knee and asked Ms.Bygrave to marry him, she began blushing and gave him a hug, lost for words because it was so unexpected.

After dating Bygrave for the past 8 years, McDaniel he is excited to begin this new chapter in his life.  

“It will be a dream come true to marry my best friend,” McDaniel said. 

Coach McDaniel poses with his fiance, Monique Bygrave, at Rooney Field. McDaniel and Bygraves have been dating for eight years.

About the Writer
Mikaela Boyce, Staff Writer

Mikeala is a senior in high school and she is a very outgoing and silly person. She enjoys making new friends and spreading positivity throughout her day....

1 Comment

One Response to “Coach McDaniel Wins On and Off the Field”

1. Patrick Mc Daniel on December 2nd, 2016 9:15 am

This brought a smile to my face thanks for sharing this