MVHS Honors Hispanic Heritage

MVHS held its first Hispanic Living History Day where representatives from the community came to share their stories with the students on Tuesday, October 11.

During National Hispanic Heritage Month, September 15 to October 15, recognition is given to the contributions of Hispanic and Latino Americans to the United States and celebrate their heritage and culture.

The event was planned by Mrs. Blum and Hispanic Chamber of Commerce

President Jaime Hurtado and more than 20 professionals showed up to the event including keynote speaker, district attorney Mike Hestrin.

“We want our students to hear from professionals that represent their own culture. The students are gonna find that it’s not just about their culture but how they arrived,” Blum said.

The students invited to the event were brought by their teachers who were sent invites to the event which lasted from second to third period.

Mrs. Chaffee, history and psychology teacher, was one of the few to take their students to the event.

“I think it’s important in our society for students to learn more about the personal stories of those people,” Chaffee said. “It’s a good example for students to keep trying and striving.”

Each representative walked to a group of their choosing and shared their stories with the students there. After ten minutes, the students rotated and listened to a different speaker.

“The representatives were all great because they shared their struggles and hardships of their childhood and what it was like for them growing up,” Brandon Villa, senior, said. “The only problem was that I wasn’t able to meet all of them, I was only able to talk to a few of them.”

Each speaker encouraged the students to work hard for what they believe in, while backing it up with personal experiences.

“My parents came from Mexico and it made me think about what they went through. They did it to benefit me, to be someone,” Villa said. “It makes me reflect on myself. It makes me think I won’t make it. The pressure I have on me… I want to be able to make my parents proud.”

Mrs. Blum, organizer of the event was glad to have had this event happen.

“I hope that every student gets a real sense of the Latino culture,” Blum said.