Gavin Newsom: All Students in California Will be Required to Get the Covid-19 Vaccine to Enroll in On-campus Classes

All students in California will be required to get the COVID-19 vaccine, pending FDA approval.

Melanie Goicochea, Staff Writer

California became the first state to issue a covid-19 vaccine mandate for all students. 

Governor Gavin Newsom says that the mandate for students 12 and older is expected to take place as early as January 2022

“There’s still a struggle to get to where we need to be,” Newsom said  “And that means we need to do more, and we need to do better.”

Parents have to present a waiver for a medical or personal-belief exemption for the vaccination in order to be allowed to enroll in on-campus classes. Students who won’t be getting vaccinated will have the option to enroll in an online school.

California was the first state to order a lockdown early in the pandemic. Schools here also remained closed longer than in many other states. When this mandate was announced, there was controversy over the governor and his decisions regarding covid-19.

California was also very early with other safety measures including mandating masks indoors, even though that is still a disputable matter.

Many parents have asserted several reasons for opposing the mandate, including factually wrong reasons according to experts. 

Some are even saying that the vaccine is too new for them to have trust in them to give to kids.

“..We should have an option on whether we want the vaccine or not,” said Denise Alcala, a parent of a Moval High student. “Not everyone is reacting in a  good way to the vaccine and what if it makes us sick or even worse.” 

Others, including students at MVHS, applaud the news of the mandate.

“When students come to school they don’t have to worry about getting sick or already being sick,” says Emma Guttierez, a student at Moval high. “School safety should be number 1 priority”.

226 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine have been administered in the U.S. since December. Experts say that if there were a safety problem with the vaccine for kids, it would have surfaced by now.

In Los Angeles County kids ages 12-17 had the highest covid case rate in the last month. So failing to vaccinate adolescents and teens will prolong the pandemic 

Everyone has a different opinion, some are even moderate.

“Although it would be safer for everyone to get vaccinated. I believe it’s up to your own persona to do so,” said Marivel Perez, another student at Moval High.