Dear Music, Thank You For Always Being There For Me

Karla Cardoso, Staff Writer

“I can’t wait to join my zoom class today!” said no student ever. Who wants to sit in front of a screen all day, not me. I feel like I am on facetime with my teachers, except they are the only ones talking, and the call isn’t as interesting. I guess I may be wrong to assume that most people don’t like having school online. I’m sure there are people out there who like working from home as well as attending online classes. Well let me tell you something, you are a rare breed if that is the case. Maybe I shouldn’t complain, some people have literally lost everything to this pandemic. We have all suffered consequences due to this pandemic in some way. So we may ask ourselves, what can help us get through this?

There has to be something out there that every person can truly enjoy. Something that speaks to us just the way we want it to. Something that comforts us during our hardest times. A sound that enters our earlobe and brings out the emotion within us. A vocal or instrument language that all humans understand, music. There’s no doubt that without music some of us would not be able to handle the pressure this world puts on us. Music speaks the words that we want to hear. It calms the mind and lets us know everything will be alright.

Have you ever got the chills from listening to a certain song? A study by Dr. Valorie Salimpoor, a postdoctoral research fellow, shows that this triggers a release of dopamine to the brain, which essentially brings us happiness. Not only does music make us happier, but it also increases productivity. Dr. Lesiuk, an assistant professor in the music therapy program at the University of Miami found that In one study involving information technology specialists, those who listened to music completed their duties faster than those who didn’t. Overall music just brightens your mood which increases your speed on many levels. 

During this pandemic, there is something we can all enjoy, and enjoy to appreciate: The beauty of music. Value those times in the shower while you are crying your heart out to a Whitney Houston song. While you are on your way to work, don’t forget to turn that radio on and take joy in the sound that comes out of it. Music is the medicine that heals the wounds within us.