What Goes On Behind a Closed Zoom Camera

Khaled Kahla, Staff Writer

A typical day of school starts with me logging into my first zoom meeting at 8:00 a.m. At this time I am still in bed under my sheets with my Chromebook in one hand and my phone in the other. Because my first class is an AP class, I’ll often have to listen for words that imply I have to pay attention, but while I wait for those words to be said, I lazily scroll through TikTok on my phone.

I do that up until 8:40 a.m., where I get off my zoom call for my first class while still scrolling through social media. 8:45 a.m. marks the beginning of my second period, which on a typical day I go into the kitchen and grab whatever I see to eat, sit down at the table, and watch some anime while I munch down on some breakfast. Although I make sure to not fall behind on any of my classwork, things like this have a regular place in my new school schedule.

I’m typically at my worst in terms of my attention as my third period pops up at 9:30 a.m. Sad to say, but I’ve played full games of Modern Warfare during this period before, along with laying on my stomach in a chair as I balance my body to pose as superman. When do you hear of a 17-year-old posing as superman in a chair; never, that’s what I thought.

My day goes on until 12:30 p.m., but I am sure from what I have shared about just the first three periods of my day that you can imagine how the rest of the day goes on. And just to clarify, these aren’t everyday occurrences, but the fact that I have dozed off from school to this extent shows how lacking the educational system might be this year in terms of hours learned in class.

Although I can’t speak for others experiencing online learning, I know that I can say that this has been a very harsh time to learn, and I am one of the top five students in my school. It takes a lot of discipline to sit down and listen to a computer screen without just zoning out and doing whatever else you want, simply because nothing, or rather no one, is there to stop you, so why not.

It is hard to say what teachers and administrators can do to make students more involved with online classes and work because they simply do not have the same authority as they do during physical school.