COVID-19’s Possession on Senioritis

Anthony Argueta, Staff Writer

Senioritis: a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.

As students face their first year of distance learning due to the current pandemic, it’s a safe bet to make that this being the first year, it’ll end up being the toughest one too. Though all grade levels will be affected by this, it’ll definitely hit some groups harder than others; however, each grade will handle their own different difficulties. An example being students who just went into kindergarten might not have faced the normal schooling before while students who just went into sixth grade might have an odd interaction with the new idea of six classes.

But for those of us who may be finishing our journeys such as final year students, how has this affected us on our concluding journey?

August 13th of 2020, I started my last year of high school. I’d like to believe that I wouldn’t be sweating; however, I feel the pressure is completely on this time around. I have yet to get into an extremely deep dark pit of senioritis however, I’m well aware that this pit has started to be nicked at. I’m about an average Joe, so about 2.7-3.0 g.p.a. student.

School has always been a place of business. Meanwhile, home for a lot of the student body is a place of relaxation. So is being in a relaxing environment really the best option for a place of work?

At school students don’t have many distractions when it comes to learning and doing work because what better options do they have within that time frame. Whereas now students have plenty of options of things they could tend to while they’re in class.

Students are used to having class time to learn and finish work where now it’s simply a challenge to finish a lesson in class. This is an urgent issue because to some it may feel like putting importance to the side and pushing unmotivating feelings. 

Personally, I do enjoy the new schooling in a lot of ways, however, plenty of students find it unmotivating. Students are faced with plenty of hard assignments where they are not getting a fair amount of time to even learn them. 

It’s worth mentioning that students were getting about four homework tasks a day before COVID-19 closed schools, whereas now every teacher is forced to give out some form of homework daily, with a tight deadline. 

This is turning out to be a tough year, and I’m not sure if it’s one where students will pass. I’ve started to drop the ball in areas where I excel. I may be facing a potential problem of senioritis due to a lack of motivation of having back to back assignments where it feels like the year will never get easier.

Only time will tell, but I’d like to make it clear though, this year might not be my best but, I’ll make sure it’s not going to be one where I face additional time.