Imperfect is the New Perfect

Most students would know what it’s like to have high expectations from adults. I know I do. Adults don’t understand sometimes that we have bigger problems than just trying to get good grades or trying to always be happy.

The teenage years are by far the most difficult ages to be in. We’re trying to find ourselves and figuring out what we want to be in the future. Not just that, but we’re also dealing with drama which consists of family life, friendships, relationships, and school. 

On top of it all since we aren’t kids we’re expected to have responsibilities. Yet since we aren’t adults we aren’t allowed to have opinions on debatable topics because we’re “too young.” So what do adults want from us? Good grades. Happiness. Perfection. 

Sometimes parents expect us to be a perfect daughter/son. They want us to never speak up for ourselves as it would be “disrespectful”, be happy 24/7, have straight A’s, and be the student that everyone wishes to be.

I’m here to tell you that you don’t have to be perfect. It’s ok to not have straight A’s or to not be happy all the time. 

This doesn’t just come from parents it happens with teachers, administrators, and principals. They expect us to have perfect attendance and perfect grades. Sometimes students have problems at home. They can’t help but  have bad grades and attendance issues. I know that we’re supposed to inform teachers about problems and try and figure out a solution. The thing is, sometimes these problems aren’t easy to be talked about.

It is said that when a child grows up in a house where high expectations are set and wants parental approval and love, they tend to believe that their parents will only accept and love them if they achieve extraordinary academic performances.

Therefore by setting a high standard we grow up thinking that we have to be excellent for approval and love from our own family. We shouldn’t have to feel that way at all.

Now although it’s great to have good grades and good attendance, most students get stressed from all the expectations they’re supposed to meet. 

73% of people with stress regularly experience psychological symptoms. Which means stressed students are more at risk to have mental illnesses.

Now I know that this may be TOO much to ask for (note the sarcasm) but please try and fully understand that we as teenagers are still figuring ourselves out. We have drama. Lots of drama. 

We can’t be perfect. No one can truly be perfect, so why expect that from us?