Saturday S.T.E.A.M. Academy is Gaining Steam

What is Saturday School at Moreno Valley High School? Saturday School at Moreno Valley High School is officially known as the Saturday Steam Academy program. This program was launched on October 6, 2018 and is still in operation today as of April 2019. The program was created to stop the influx of student tardiness and absences within the school attendance and get students on time and in class everyday. Since the beginning of the program it averages at least 50 students attending every week and that number keeps increasing as we are getting closer to big events such as prom and senior grad night which are events lots of seniors want to attend therefore they will go to Saturday Steam to try to clear some absences or tardies.

The Saturday Steam program was founded on the principle that students will also be able to receive tutoring, catch up on missing assignments, and take their skills to the next level all while helping their attendance. Moreno Valley is putting big effort this year on getting students where there supposed to be and threatening them, that if there attendance isn’t great they will be stripped of senior activities. Furthermore, the Saturday Steam program takes place on a Saturday and lasts close to five hours where class time begins at 8:00 a.m. and ends at 12:45 a.m. There are various choices to choose from on what class to attend. For example, they have math tutoring, The Finer Things club, Arts and Crafts, and the list goes on. To join the program you have to sign up on the school website at morenovalley.mvusd.net click on students and then click Saturday Steam and finally choose what class you would like to be apart of.

It must also be taken into consideration that there are no late sign ups and students who sign up late won’t be able to attend.

“Our Saturday Steam program is designed to help students with their academic goals and push them to strive harder ,” Principal Ms. Brown.

The key belief with this Steam Academy is that students will become better if they attend because they will learn more and will only help themselves and their attendance.

“I was able to go to Winter formal after having many tardies by clearing them up by going to Steam Academy, it was a pain but it was worth it,” said Devenoy Averalo ,senior.