Let’s Talk About (Safe) Sex…

Back to Article
Back to Article

Let’s Talk About (Safe) Sex…

Kaiser Permanente's theatrical actors questions on STDs asked by students after the presentation. Even the freshmen who laugh at

Kaiser Permanente's theatrical actors questions on STDs asked by students after the presentation. Even the freshmen who laugh at "That's what she said" jokes seemed interested in listening to answers the actors were providing.

Brianna Plascencia

Brianna Plascencia

Brianna Plascencia

Brianna Plascencia, Staff Writer

Kaiser Permanente came out on Tuesday, April 9 to educate students about STDs in a theatrical way, which was through the form of a skit that used props and backdrops, and were able to answer or clarify any questions students had.

The presentation took place during third period in the gym and consisted of different grade levels ranging from freshmen to seniors. The “stage” was made up of different walls with drawings sort of overlapping each other and with two projectors on each side which would read important facts about STDs throughout the presentation.

Right from the beginning, actors popped out from behind the walls and began to act out various scenes. They dressed and acted as teenagers in high school who were dealing with contracting STDs, having or not having protected sex, and abstinence. This caught the students attention including Melanie Mejia’s, a freshman, because the topic was not being portrayed as it usually would be such as with power points and pictures.

“I think it was interesting and different then other presentations because the fact that they made scenes…with that people are more into it,” Mejia said.

As much as it was entertaining to students, it was also educational. Throughout the scenes, the actors would integrate facts about STDs such as informing that the age group within highcschool have 1 in 4 chance of contracting chlamydia. Their main purpose was to teach the audience about all the risks that come with having sexual intercourse and how they can be prevented.

Another freshman, Rachel Felix, felt that the most important thing about the presentation was the actors talking bout the different types of STDs one can catch from having unprotected sex.

“…everyone needs to know and think about what would happen,” Felix said. “People think about doing that, but don’t think about the consequences.”

As much as the actors talked about having protected sex and the statistics of STDs, they also went over the topic of what one should do if they were to ever contract an STD. They advised to go get tested and if the results came out positive then they should immediately inform their past partners about it so they can go get tested as well. This message taught Melanie Mejia a lesson that she believes to be important and that everyone must follow.

“You shouldn’t keep it a secret, it’ll affect everyone that you have some type of sex with,” Mejia said.

After conveying the message that someone who has contracted an STD must inform their partners, the actors ended their skit and presentation by answering questions that the students had. Students asked questions about what certain STDs were and how could they be passed down through people. Saige Miranda, a senior who went with her journalism class to the presentation, found the skit and the questions being answered to be very informative.

“I think it was beneficial because I knew about STDs but I didn’t know that much…it showed how serious it is,” Miranda said.

Informing the students about all the things that have to do with STDs was what Kaiser Permanen

te was trying to achieve. Eddie, an actor who played Herman in the skit and has been with Kaiser for four years, wishes the students leave knowing that taking care of their bodies is up to them.

“They can take sexual health into their own hands” Eddie said.

About the Contributor
Brianna Plascencia, Staff Writer

Brianna is a writer for the school newspaper caring, honest, trustworthy, compassionate, selfless, energetic, hardworking, and overall and amazing friend....