MVHS Students Respond to College Admissions Scandal

MVHS seniors are concerned for future applicants applying to colleges due to the outbreak of the college admissions scandal that occurred in 2019 March when UC acceptances were sent out.

Around 50 people, including celebrities, CEOs, coaches, administration, and parents are allegedly being charged with felony criminal charges. The causes of these felonies are due to the manipulation of their child’s test score, photoshopped fake images of involvement in sports or school activities, and money laundering, which is when money is deposited into different bank accounts; overall it creates difficulties to trace.

These people paid from a range of $100k to $6.5 million dollars for the acceptance of their child. Some schools involved in scandal: UCLA, USC, Stanford, Yale, Georgetown. There is a probability that they may get convicted with a sentence of five years but each case can vary.

“I know a lot of people who work their ass off to get into these elite schools but lack the finances to attend and these social elites in Hollywood act like they have the right to pay off admissions and be above the law,” said Patrick Killion, senior.

According to U.S.News, in 2018, about 89 percent of MVHS students are considered “Economically Disadvantaged”. This number is determined from the amount of students receiving free/ reduced-price lunch. Overall, MVUSD’s college readiness is at 21 percent.

“I see a lot of students working really hard to get the acceptances…to know that you can pay somebody off and to know that somebody can accept that money is offensive,” said Tami James, Registrar.

Until now, there is barely any information about any student who has been affected about their parent’s allegations.

“It makes me mad because other people like my peers don’t have a chance of getting in because of the money,” said Evelyn Perez, senior. “They don’t have money and colleges want students with money.”

However, some MVHS students have a different perspective about the scandal.

“As a high school within a low income community, this isn’t commonly seen,” said Sofía Yepez, junior. “This also makes me proud as I see many students getting into the college of their dreams through the right way and the truthful way.”

Karla Ayala, senior said, “I believe the scandal will definitely result in each and every UC and private universities to be very thorough in reviewing applications. Which can result either negatively or positively if they give more value to minorities and lower income students”

The class of 2020 will become seniors soon and eventually go through the application process for UCs, Cal States, or Common App.

“Since this scandal came out to the public eye, I don’t think that this will be allowed for future years,” said Yepez. “The application process is a tiresome process that involves a lot of personal information. At the moment I am not scared of this scandal affecting my application process next year.”

The exposure of this scandal has made universities take action like review applications and fire administrators with allegations.

“I’m just glad this was finally brought to light because it’s not right, it’s not ok,” said Ms. James.