The Struggle of Pregnant Students

Some people don’t understand the struggles of being in school while being  pregnant.

“It’s a double standard on one side of the story,” Andrea Sanchez,  a senior,(whose name has been changed) said, she has a 12 month year old girl named Kayla, she was named after her grandmother. “I can create life and love my child, but on the other hand it is a struggle because I’m forced to grow up really fast.”  Some tips to avoid being pregnant is to have safe sex, and if you decide not to, make sure you’re ok with investing alot of your time and money to your kid, and don’t take your certain emotions out on the kid because that would only effect the kid mentally growing up.

According to usnews.com, even with declining teen birth rates, 18 percent of American women ages 20-29 have had a baby in their teen years.

A pregnant student, who asked to remain anonymous , stated “It’s crazy how young I am, but I feel so old now.”

There should be more support offered to young pregnant students in highschool.

According to healthcommunities.com, there are health risks for the baby and children born to teenage mothers are more likely to suffer health, social, and emotional problems than children born to older mothers. Also, women who become pregnant during their teens are at increased risk for medical complications, such as premature labor, and social consequences.

There are about 2,335 students at MVHS, according to usnews.com, which means that statistically, there are at least three pregnant students at MVHS.

I interviewed some pregnant students at Moreno Valley High School and here is what they had to say.

“Its hard taking care of a child, while at the same time trying to maintain good grades, I can’t go to sleep no more without wondering if my kid is ok,” said an anonymous senior.

Another anonymous pregnant student stated, “ The father of my child is still with me and he is so supportive, but it’s still hard to take care of my baby. Diapers are expensive.”

If you are a young parent, just make sure you are financially ready and if not, get a decent job and save up your money. I personally knew a girl really close to me who was a pregnant student and she struggled growing up, but she kept her calm and now she is happy with her kids. Remember your positive actions combined with positive thinking results in success.