The Midday Prom Roared With a Great Gatsby Theme

Angela Munoz, Staff Writer

The 2019 Mid-Day prom was held for the special education students  Friday the 15th of March. The dance was a Great Gatsby-themed celebration that was filled with food, dancing, and music.

The dance was planned two months in advance and was coordinated by the Interact Club. Students from the AVID program also volunteered and helped to organize the event.

“We all came up with a theme and voted on the theme and it was The Great Gatsby,” said junior Sophia Yepez, president of the Interact Club, “and we decided to go with this and we just had a meeting as officers to like, to see who was gonna take care of what and we just asked for the volunteers help to help to plan this.”

Yepez also added that the dance had been going on for the past 7-8 years, from what she can remember, and that “it’s just one of the Interact divisions along with our other Halloween event.”

For food, 18 cheese and pepperoni pizzas were ordered from Little Caesars, according to an AVID student who was handing out the food, and students could also grab a bag of chips. There were water bottles and Capri Suns for refreshments, with cookies and cupcakes for dessert.

There was also a photo-taking area at the back corner of the gym. It had a white backdrop with gold and black banners hanging across the top and the corners were also adorned with white, black, and gold balloons.

The AVID volunteers were running both these areas by taking pictures and handing out the food.

The tables at the dance were adorned with black tablecloths which also had gold confetti sprinkled on them. Each table had black trees with glowing white flowers on them as its centerpiece.

The rest of the MPR had white, gold and black balloons along the middle of the walls as well as around the bottom of the stage. Fluorescence purple lights illuminated the dance floor as well as the rest of the room.

Songs from artists such as Rihanna, Camilla Cabello, and The Weeknd played throughout the event while students danced along. Additionally, various Hispanic songs played from artists such as Selena, Luis Fonsi, and La Sonora Dinamita.

The dance concluded with the coronation of the Mid-Day prom king and queen. Anthony Miller, senior, won king and Ana Ortiz, senior, won queen.

“This is for the special ed students and it’s a time for them,” said Yepez, “and it’s a heartwarming experience to see a smile on their face.”

About the Contributor
Angela Munoz, Staff Writer

Angela is a liberated young woman who doesn’t play around - except when she’s saying something sly or witty. Her dark humor is contagious and her wisdom...