Many Seniors Are “No Thanks” to the No-Go List

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students check for their name on the No-go list. The No-go list is a list of students who are not eligible to attend school-sponsored activities and events due to tardies and/or absences.

Kimberly Diaz

Kimberly Diaz

Kimberly Diaz

Kimberly Diaz, Staff Writer

Words such as “ irritating” and “stupid” were among the terms MoVal seniors used to express their very strong opinions about the “no-go” list. This no-go list affects seniors not being able to participate in senior activities such as prom, school dances and senior night at Disneyland. It started this year when seniors signed a contract at registration. Many seniors have been denied the access of permission slips to activities because of their attendance and several students feel that it’s not how this system should be ran.

The no-go list consists of seniors who do not have the minimum 95 percent attendance rate to be able to participate in senior activities.

Seniors are not able to have more than 30 period absences to be able to attend activities. That makes five full school days that seniors are able to miss. But some students say that often times whenever they ask what percentage they’re at, the attendance ladies might find themselves busy with other things and can’t provide that information.

“I’ve been attending all the Saturday schools they’ve held this semester, but because it hasn’t been updated I’m still on it,” Michelle Calleja said.

Many seniors think it is effective in certain circumstances, while others think it’s useless.

“I don’t want to judge it on its effectiveness, I think it’s doing its job of making students aware” Mr. Peeples said.

Seniors are meant to be “models and mentors” for the lower class students around campus. Administration wants to make the impact of making seniors responsible.

“The biggest skill we can teach students is the skill of responsibility,” Mr.Peeples, assistant principal, said in regards to the no-go list.

Some also get the feeling that the school is only focusing on attendance than whether grades are academically doing good or not.

“Students are already stressed out by not letting them do these activities it makes them not care much for school. It’s not effective,” Ruvalcaba said.

Noticing that all seniors are being pressured by the “no-go” list makes them feel like they don’t need to have good grades because at the end of the day they don’t look at that more than they look at attendance.

“I honestly think it’s so stupid. I’m on top of what I need to be, so what if I’m only here 90% of the time,” Calleja said.

Mr. Peeples said that there may be more to the situation than students are aware of.

“We are focusing on grades as well…We do not allow students that are not on track to graduate go to these activities,” Mr.Peeples said. “That’s the information we don’t tell you guys. MoVal seniors that are not on track to graduate can’t attend these events but it’s not stated clearly for students to know that administration is in fact looking into grades.”

Still, the majority of seniors don’t think that attendance is the best way to run this no go list, arguing that they could be here every single day and failing.

“As long as you’re here, that’s the only thing they care about because they’re making money,” Calleja said.

About the Contributor
Kimberly Diaz, Staff Writer

Kim is such a kind-hearted individual that always strives for success. She is an Aries and can be very hard headed, but this all comes down to her wanting...

1 Comment

One Response to “Many Seniors Are “No Thanks” to the No-Go List”

1. Masey Jackson on March 18th, 2019 10:43 am

I totally agree the no go list is a joke and should be stopped immediately. You right the school receives more funds when students are present they dont care about grades anymore. Sadly the school system is changing.

• Many Seniors Are “No Thanks” to the No-Go List

Student Life

The Midday Prom Roared With a Great Gatsby Theme

News

MVHS Focuses on the Positive With PBIS Rewards

A&E

When Music is a Passion

Student Life

MVHS Went Greek For the Winter Pep Rally

Student Life

School Spirit Was Scarce During the Winter Formal Spirit Week

Student Life

Here is What Life After High School Looks Like for the 2019 Senior Class

Slideshows

“What Are You Listening To Right Now?”

A&E

Make Your Valentine’s Day

Student Life

School Lunch Will Soon Include Vegetarian Options

News

MVHS’ English Department’s Literacy Night Drew Crowds for Games, Performances and Tacos