MVHS Focuses on the Positive With PBIS Rewards

The PBIS rewards app, which allows students and staff to track points, is available on all devices.

Trezna Moore, Staff Writer

Moreno Valley High School is bringing PBIS Rewards, the rewards system where you can get points for attendance and positive behavior, the rewards system where you can get points for attendance and positive behavior, to students. The goal is to make school a more fun and positive place to try and influence bad behavior to come to an end.

Lizette Nava, Assistant Principal is very optimistic about the program.

“I think that eventually all of the staff will focus on positive behavior,” said Nava.

One of the main purposes is allowing the students to get rewarded for good things. Teachers as well as “classified staff members” can reward points to students on account to positive behavior. Nava hopes that students getting rewarded will not only help build up their self esteem, but also encourage them to engage in positive behaviors and less negative behaviors.

“I’m excited because we need to start recognizing kids for their positive behavior,” said Nava. “You don’t need to know the kid, you just wanna be able to reward them.”

Janette Lupercio, freshman, feels that the program could be a good motivator.

“I think students are going to feel better of themselves because they got points for the day.” said Lupercio.

Janette sees some good from the system but also sees how it could go in an unintended direction.

“Teachers could use it kind of against students. Like, ‘Oh, if you don’t do this, you’ll never get points’ and those kids will quit trying,” said Lupercio.

Looking at it from a student’s perspective, Janette thinks it could be a “chaotic era” due to kids not being grateful enough or just not caring at all.

“Kids are gonna be kids and not care. There’s not really no way to improve it. ” said Lupercio.

Mrs. Aviles, Spanish teacher, feels that overall, the program will have a positive impact.

“I think it can benefit the school and the whole community.” said Aviles.

Aviles uses the rewards almost everyday and thinks its “a great tool for the students” to be rewarded. She says it’s also good for the teachers because “helps us to remember to focus on the positive.”

“It can benefit for everyone, students and staff, because it promotes a positive environment,” said Aviles. “Behavior, benefits, and recognition.”

About the Writer
Trezna Moore, Staff Writer

Trezna is a kind, warm-hearted, lovely person who loves to write, and work hard. Her goals are to live in Nebraska, and to be a well-taught hard-working...