Filed under Features

Advice To My Freshman Self

Students from the class of 2019 reflect on their freshman year and what they would have done differently.

“Get your work done then laugh, because senior year you won’t be laughing if your work isn’t done,” said Luis Morales, senior.

Many seniors have regretted what they did when they were freshman.

I have heard countless numbers of seniors say, “I wish I knew this when I was a freshman.”

Being a freshman you think everything is cool and going as planned, but you don’t realize it’s not all fun and games until you’re a  senior. You can’t go back in time and try to change the mistakes you made. Everything you do comes with a consequence. That’s what freshmen don’t see. They don’t see that high school really impacts their life forever.

Freshmen try hard to “fit in” or “seem cool” but really school is for education. I get it, you see your friends and you ignore your education, but it should never be like that. And you can’t be so focused on what everyone thinks of you. You are the one getting that grade, not them. You are.

“The advice I would give to my freshman self is to always focus on my goals and do not get side tracked if you really want to achieve something,” said Sharanee Chhim, senior. To also not let every little thing get to me and it’s okay if you feel like you don’t fit in with anyone.”  

Education is such an important aspect of your life and I wish freshmen would see that. High school is what you make it. No one is going to hold your hand and tell you what’s right from wrong and what to do. YOU need to know what to do.

“To myself: calm down, everything will be okay,” said Eveyln Alamillo, senior. “I understand you want to make your parents proud, but as long as you keep working hard, you’ll be okay. I understand that every single thing that makes you feel anxious, but it turns out that the “smart girl” next to you was just as confused as you were.”

“Keep all of your grades up so you do not have to suffer having to retake classes in night school and summer school”, said Noelia Romero, senior.

The advice I would give to freshmen is:

1. Get a planner, trust me it’s super useful and when you go home you can just look back at it and see what you need to get done.
  2. Understand Procrastination. Don’t lie to yourself and say you won’t procrastinate. It happens to all of us. But it is up to you to turn that procrastination into action.
  3. Keep it real, keep it real with yourself. Don’t set goals that you know you probably won’t be able to reach. Just be honest with yourself and do the most you can.
  4. Stay focused! I can’t stress enough on how important this is. I know it’s hard getting sidetracked but, please stay focused and trust me, it will pay off.
  5. Get involved with your school. High school is fun but you have to make it fun. The fun won’t come to you, you go to it. Join a sport, a club, maybe even be a cheerleader.
  6. Work hard. Work hard because it won’t be as easy as you thought middle school was. This is a different kind of work. Work hard all of high school, and you’ll be prepared for college.
  7. Be present. High school goes back in just a blink of an eye. You may feel like it’s being such a drag, but watch at the end when you’re walking down to go get your diploma handed to you.