Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Theater Department Puts Students to Work to Figure Out “Whodunnit” at the Murder Mystery Dinner

Despite a few bumps in the road, the theatre department successfully put on their interactive Murder Mystery dinner play on October 24th in the MPR.

The theater’s Murder Mystery Dinner allowed the audience to participate in the play and help figure out who the culprit was. Everything from arguments, to clues, to the actual murder happened right in the middle of the audience, enabling them to witness every action first hand. Using the actors’ improvised dialogue, the guests had to actively solve the case by asking the suspects questions, eavesdropping on their conversations, and doing whatever it took to discover “who-dun-it.”

However, the improvisation factor of the play made it difficult for the members of the theater to rehearse because they didn’t know exactly how the audience would react.

“Most of the whole play is like improv, and we practiced that, but it was hard to, like, practice what real people who are trying to figure it out would say, and so that was definitely the nervous part of it,” theatre director Mr.Shaw said.

On top of the nervousness of the improvisation, the theatre faced even more difficulty due to a sickness that affected half of their cast.

“Well, because of the sickness a lot of us couldn’t think straight, so we would all mess up our lines during rehearsal and it was just a mess, but, fortunately, in the end we pulled through, because the people who weren’t sick managed to hold us all together,” senior Humberto Rojo said. Rojo was an actor in the play, and one of the many that was sick during the performance.

Mr. Shaw also had a lot to say about how much the sickness affected their execution of the play.

“It made us nervous,” Mr.Shaw said. “I had two cast members that came to rehearsal yesterday and literally collapsed, so I had to hand scripts to new people because I didn’t know if they were gonna make it today, but they were able to show up today and they weren’t 100%, but we crossed our fingers and it all worked out in the end”.

Although they had faced many problems along the way, the night went far better than the theatre department had anticipated.

“The night went really well,” said senior Frida Mendivil, who had been at the entrance selling tickets and welcoming people in. “I didn’t expect so many people to show up, honestly.”

The members of the audience were completely immersed in the show and remained attentive and interested throughout the whole performance. The interactive nature of the play was a huge crowd pleaser.

“It was just, like, really fun just being here with everyone and interacting with the actors, even though it was all kinda crazy” audience member Melody LeBlanc said.

Even the actors shared the audience’s enjoyment of the improvised interactions.

“The improvisation element was really fun of this particular play because I got social energy and interaction from people and actually sitting at a table with people from the audience was a lot of fun,” said senior and actress Eileen Zambrano.

Overall, the theatre department persevered through all of their difficulties and was able to put on their Murder Mystery Dinner play by taking on a “the show must go on” mentality.

As the night night wound down, Zambrano ended by saying, “It’s amazing that we made it through the night and it’s a great testament to how hard we work that we were able to perform today”.

About the Contributor
Leslie Casillas, Staff Writer

Leslie Casillas is an Aquarius. Which fits her perfectly as she is very intellectual, articulate, a good leader, but most importantly she is a phenomenal...