Filed under Showcase, Student Life

“Stereotypical Skateboarders”

MVHS' Skateboarders Prove That There's More to Them Than the Stereotypes Suggest

Anthony Argueta, sophomore and skateboarder.

Verania Diaz

Out of many groups thats represent Moval’s student population, skaters compose a significant amount of those.

Stereotypes that people are quick to assume about skaters are that they are potheads, they dress a certain way, are careless, etc . Some people seem to agree with these stereotypes and some don’t.  

“Stereotypes are that we don’t put thought into what we wear or that you’re just like every other skater and you supposedly get hurt when people wear Thrasher and what not and you have to kickflip to be a good skater when in reality skaters don’t care about that bulls**t,” Anthony Argueta, sophomore, said.

Some skaters don’t feel the need to learn tricks, they just want to skateboard for fun or just cruise around.

Argueta went on and said “I do not agree with any of the stereotypes cause all skaters are very different cause there’s many types of skaters there is skaters who only skate vert, others might skate street and everyone is just different. They might believe in the same thing and have the same goal, but all skaters are different when it comes to their interest, their style and their idea of what good skating is.”

Not all skaters care about what other are wearing, even if it’s a skater brand because they don’t take it seriously and feel that people can wear whatever they want.

Argueta went ahead and added “The skaters who care about people who don’t skate wearing skate brands, who like actually care and get hurt when people mall grab, or try telling you there’s only one way to skate those are fake skaters cause when it comes to real skaters it’s all love and respect for what others want to do with skating.”

I also got a different perspective from Willmer Gonzalez, tenth grader, who said “some stereotypes are that we’re stuck up punks, were potheads and we have no respect”.

For skaters, it’s hard for them to avoid being stereotyped as a druggy or scumbag even though the majority of them are the opposite.

“I disagree with these stereotypes,” Gonzalez added. “some of use are nice. Like me, I’m a really kind person and yeah a lot of skaters are potheads but there are countless skaters that are completely sober and we have a lot of respect for a lot of people”.

About the Contributor
Verania Diaz, Staff Writer

Verania Diaz is a very outgoing and confident person. She’s not afraid to speak her mind. She’s such a goofy person, she always brings a smile to her...

1 Comment

One Response to ““Stereotypical Skateboarders””

1. Jesse Gallarzo on February 14th, 2019 12:25 pm

Verania,
    As someone who used to actively skate (and probably still could if I greased up the ol’ hinges), I remember caring a great deal about the stereo types and how it effected the community both in and out of skateboarding. I would agree with the majority of what these two gentlemen have said. Perhaps the beauty of skateboarding, in general, is the carelessness that one can have for the sake of just having fun.

-G

• “Stereotypical Skateboarders”

A&E

Make Your Valentine’s Day

• “Stereotypical Skateboarders”

Student Life

School Lunch Will Soon Include Vegetarian Options

• “Stereotypical Skateboarders”

News

MVHS’ English Department’s Literacy Night Drew Crowds for Games, Performances and Tacos

• “Stereotypical Skateboarders”

A&E

Another MoVal Christmas Carol is in the Books

• “Stereotypical Skateboarders”

A&E

Ballet Folklorico annual winter concert Una Noche Mexicana!!

• News

And the Teacher of the Year Award Goes To…

• “Stereotypical Skateboarders”

Student Life

MVHS’ Choir’s Haunted House a “Horror”-ible Success

• “Stereotypical Skateboarders”

Student Life

GSA Shines a Little Light on National Coming Out Day

• “Stereotypical Skateboarders”

Student Life

On the School Wide SAT Day, the Freshmen Got to Play

• “Stereotypical Skateboarders”

News

MVHS’ Choir Performs and Inspires at the Fall Concert

“Stereotypical Skateboarders”