Filed under Opinion

Moving Graduation Due to Renovation of the Field is Unfair to the Graduating Class of 2018

The decision to renovate the field, which may end up causing the senior class of 2019 to graduate at either Valley View or Canyon Springs, has caused an upsetting uproar in the senior class.  

There will be limited tickets to attend the graduation at the other schools, but if the graduation was to be held at Moreno Valley High then there would be no limit to the number of people who attend. A big crowd at their graduation would be the cherry on top for seniors have waited for twelve years for the big day. Some seniors are the first to graduate or the last to graduate and the family wants to make it as special as possible, but their best accomplishment of grade school will be sufficiently ruined because of some mere construction that could have been done another time.

The construction is expected to last from February to May, and finish right on time before graduation, but hopes from the seniors are down since the principal already announced that it is unlikely that we will be able to graduate at Moreno Valley High because of the construction.

“My junior year I didn’t have a gym to play basketball,” said Ariyon Dawson, senior basketball player.  “Now my senior year I won’t have the field to graduate at my own school. Moval is ruining my high school experience.”

The school has been stumped by construction before. The construction company in charge of the renovations has missed the projected finish date for other phases by a long shot. The gym was supposed to be finished before basketball season, but it was barely finished by the end of the school year, which was months later than expected. It put the basketball players at a disadvantage by not having a home gym and having to struggle to commute to other gyms just to practice. The senior class of 2018 was also at a disadvantage by not having pep rallies and that is a memorable factor of high school.

The school made sure that the football team received a pep rally that year on the football field, but no other sports have gotten the recognition for a pep rally. The school has chosen football over other sports in the past, and now it is choosing football over the seniors.

They claim that they cannot wait until after graduation to renovate the field because football will need it for summer practice, yet there is another field that they can practice on. We have a field on the side of the actual football field that is perfectly fit to accommodate their practice. Postpone the construction and have football practice on the side field.

“I think it is really irresponsible for the school to have this construction and it’s unfair,” said Fernanda Ortega, senior. “It sucks to know that they are choosing the football team over the graduating class.”

About the Writer
Kayonna Williams, Staff Writer

Kayonna is enthusiastic, driven, communicative, and intelligent. She speaks her mind, demonstrates leadership skills, and is always there for someone in...

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Moving Graduation Due to Renovation of the Field is Unfair to the Graduating Class of 2018”

1. Roseann Reynolds on December 3rd, 2018 9:31 am

I can completely understand the frustration of the writer; not being able to graduate on one’s own field is not what anyone wants. However, let’s put this in perspective.

MVHS is the oldest high school int he District, opening in the early 1960’s. Over the years, updates to the school have been done, but not to the extent we have seen in the last few years. Money is a big factor, but now with the extra construction money we receive, our school can finally start to move into the 21st century. The football field is in dire need of remodeling, so that is next on the list. How nice it will be to play and graduate on a brand new field!

Consider also this: Canyon Springs High School has not had a field to use for graduation until this last year. In addition, this school year marks the FIRST EVER year that the Cougars have played football on their very own turf. Since CSHS opened in 1986, every game has been played at either Moreno Valley HS or Valley View HS and students had to travel to Moreno Valley HS for every graduation. Yet, I have never heard much complaining from those students.

Yes, it is inconvenient, but let’s keep the big picture in mind. Some sacrifice is always necessary for the greater good. I think we can suck it up for a short time, in order to get the bigger prize later.

Just some thoughts.

2. JOHN DOE on December 5th, 2018 11:43 am

Yes, I agree with your description of how Moreno Valley High School is the oldest school in the district, and yes improvements upon the school are exciting but I believe that graduating on the field of the school that you spent countless numbers of time in is surpassed waiting for the “bigger prize later.” Also, yes past Canyon Springs High School graduates were not able to have a graduation at their school due to the lack of having a field is sad but in a way, they were already used to it. However, the fact that the renovation of the Moreno Valley High School field could have been done before or after graduation demonstrates the lack of student recognition, obviously, we have had assembly were students were recognized due to their academic excellence but it isn’t comparable to graduation. Also, for telling one to “suck it up for a short time” because of their pursuit to be able to graduate at the school they practically grew up in is not something you should exceed. In relation, you are not gonna tell someone who couldn’t afford something they desired to “suck it up for a short time”. Thank you for coming to my TED TALK.

3. Camille Edwards on December 11th, 2018 10:38 pm

I wanted to start off by saying, yes I do agree that MVHS is in need of a new football field. I remember seeing it when I was growing up attending some of the football games and even my daughters track meets. I believe that a new field would be awesome. Next I am appauled and disgusted that a teacher from the school has no empathy or compassion for the students attending. I am certain that these “views” are not just the writer, while she did quote to other students. They’re upset that they may not be able to graduate from the school that they attend. My daughter has a 4.2 GPA with AP classes, is captain of the tack and basketball team, is the journalist for the sports twitter. She wakes up early in the morning to go to school and comes home late after practice. How dare you tell her to “suck it up”, along with the other students. Do they not deserve their first amendment right to excercise their opinion? They play sports in the name of MVHS and win games by the blood and bruises in the name for the Vikings. They DESERVE to graduate at their school. They DESERVE to graduate at where they consider THEIR HOME. What price are you personally having to pay? I believe the seniors have paid their dues. They should be treated with their hard work with a graduation at their own school. If you are supposed to be there for the students, I suggest to be more respectful to their opinions and have compassion about what they are trying to say.
    That’s just MY thought.

4. Nicole on December 12th, 2018 2:40 pm

Bravo to the young lady for a very well written and thoughtful article. I am a bit annoyed at the response from Roseann whom I believe is a teacher at the high school. It is not unreasonable for students who made all their memories, and have been looking forward to and planning their final Hoorah at the school in which they grew into young adults to be upset at having plans ruined because the school doesn’t know how to prioritize. She sounds very foolish telling Seniors to “look at the big picture” and “suck it up”. Roseanne what part of Senior do you not understand? You do realize they will no longer be students at Mo Val. You say they are just complaining when in reality you are the one being selfish and insensitive to their desires. You will be at the school for several more decades so of course the “big picture” is great for you, but not so much for them. Try having a bit of consideration for others.

And bravo again to the young lady Kayonna for a very well written and thoughtful article.

5. Nicole Kyte on December 12th, 2018 7:11 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with Miss Williams. Public education is an American institution brought forth by the founding fathers who knew a country for the people, by the people, would need educated citizens. High school graduation, marking the end of an American’s public education, should be a sacred event. As an educator, who has worked in Moreno Valley USD for 23 years, I have witnessed first hand the obstacles that so many of our students, and their families have had to overcome to achieve a high school diploma. I implore the powers that be to preserve the Class of 2019’s graduation ceremony.