Filed under Opinion

What We Should Be Learning in School (But Aren’t)

This is what we should have learned in school but never did. Let’s start off with the basics, such as; taxes, emotional awareness, mindfulness, responsibility and the art of failing.

You’re probably wondering where I’m trying to go with this and…well, I have a strong belief that there are many life skills that should be actually taught rather than only brought up once or twice during your school years. I mean if you think about it, what do us students really learn in school? Not enough. I feel as if we are taught to a certain extent, leaving us to figure everything else out on our own and lacking the skill of “REAL” education in the future. Teaching students the importance of life skills and working on ourselves mentally could really help us succeed!

After receiving that diploma, us students are thrown out into the real world with little or no knowledge of communication skills, how to deal with our mental health or taxes. Education should come with these factors. I shouldn’t have to turn this into a debate on what should already be in the curriculum.

Hopefully, you are by now getting where I’m coming from.

Moving along, let me explain the benefits of what should be taught. Mindfulness techniques to help improve physical health in a number of ways. Taxes, or simply lessons to help you better understand where your money is going to and the process of filing them. Even past graduates  have stated, “I wish I would’ve been more aware of taxation.” Emotional awareness helps us to acknowledge our inner worlds and managing our mental health. Learning the art of failing can help make clear that students are used to a punishment when failing and rewarded when not. What kind of lesson does that send? Some of our most important lessons come from failure.  And last but not least, we need to learn responsibility- by being held accountable for our own behavior. ALL of this is so important but yet little has changed to raise awareness of knowing these skills.

As expressed, there needs to be a change. A change in the infrastructure of education, a change in more students acknowledging the fact that more needs to be done, SOON! Reading this and agreeing with me can only do so much; it’s about taking that step in agreeing and trying to go further with this until we are taught the skills we need to know- and be able to have the tools we need in any circumstance in our lives. If life lessons were taught in class, it would ensure that everyone learned the basics of surviving in the real world.

1 Comment

One Response to “What We Should Be Learning in School (But Aren’t)”

1. Daisy M Peralta on February 14th, 2019 12:48 pm

I believe that the author made their point very clear and to be quite honest I think what they are stating is true. High School is just like a big wall we need to get past to get to the real world. I just don’t understand why we don’t have the chance to just take the classes that are able to teach us these basic things. I think so many people have a struggle with their life because they weren’t taught these things they had to figure it out on their own, which isn’t bad at all , I think being dependent and learning how to do things for yourself is great. It’s just it would be really good if they could add just one class that explains all of these things that we don’t learn on a day to day basis.In the second article the author states ̈Teaching students the importance of life skills and working on ourselves mentally could help us succeed!¨. School always talks about how much they want us to succeed but if they really mean it then they would give us the tools to help us understand how to survive the real world!