Filed under Showcase, Student Life

GSA Shines a Little Light on National Coming Out Day

Members of the GSA club celebrated National Coming Out day this year, by giving out different papers and information about the concept of coming out. But as you dig a little deeper we see the true meaning behind this event and the value that it held to these members.

“We’re slowly but surely growing as a community and a lot of people need to be educated about it,” Heavenly, Sophomore said.

According to an article by George Mason University, National Coming Out Day (NCOD) was founded on October 11, 1988 by Robert Eichberg and Jean O’Leary marking the anniversary of the 1987 March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights. Since then, on or near every October 11, thousands of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people and allies celebrate NCOD; with workshops, speak-outs, rallies and other kinds of events all aimed at showing the public that LGBT people are everywhere. Although on the actual day, MVHS had nothing put up and the announcements said not one word about the day.

“I think our school should include and promote more of these events,” Barney Garcia, sophomore, said. “I think as part of a progressive society we should be able to accept more of these people. So many people are discriminated against, which is why there’s such high suicide rates among gay people; you know, it’s not right.”

According to an article by ALGBTICAL, one of the biggest challenges to helping people better understand LGBT issues is trying to get past the enormous amount of misinformation that already exists.  Lots of bad press and outright lies have been intentionally circulated about LGBT people. In order to have a healthy dialogue about LGBT issues, it is important to cut through the falsehoods, stereotypes, myths and misconceptions.

“I feel like many people are very misinformed; specifically maybe older people or young kids,” Daniel Torres, Sophomore, said. “They just hear it off TV or on the streets and they hear a negative thing about it and they think that all the LGBT community is that way. You know; they think transgenders are perverts, gay people are perverts, they think lesbians are faking it. Everyone just has a bunch of misconceptions about it.”

When it comes to learning more about the LGBT community, all they ask of you is to be respectful and understanding. “Try to support your friends who are in the LGBT community. And if you have a problem with it and you don’t know much about it, try to do your research. You know, learn, ask questions, and be nice,” Torres said.

“It’s just a beautiful community and people should learn about it,” Heavenly said.

About the Contributor
Evette Gallardo, Editor, Staff Writer

Passion is the fluid that runs through this brunettes veins. Evette Gallardo, a sophomore, is driven, hardworking, and likes to use her voice to impact...