Filed under Opinion

Look for the Positives, Even In the Most Negative Times

School shootings, racism, droughts, sex trafficking, suicide, mental illness, deportation, mass murder, rape. These are the things people of all ages are exposed to in today’s society. It seems that so many things are going wrong, all at once and it is hard to see any good due to the fact that these problems are hard to see around because they are shoved in front of our faces.

People should look past the negative events going on in the world, and find the positive.

I like to believe that I am someone who can turn any bad situation around, and I try to find the good in everyone. I make myself well aware of what is going on in the world around me, but I try to educate myself on positivity , and where it can be found.

When I first heard about the shooting at a high school in Florida, I could immediately feel my heart drop as I thought to myself, “Not again.” Since January of this year there have been eighteen reported mass killings. I wanted to do something. I wanted a change.

The change came when I heard a speech from Emma Gonzalez. She attended the same high school that was attacked. I remember sitting in class and the thing that stuck to me most about her speech was, “we call BS.” It moved and motivated not only me but many other people. It opened the eyes and ears of those who viewed the speech. Soon after, multi-million dollar corporations such as Delta Airlines, Dick’s Sporting Goods, and Walmart cut off their ties with the National Rifle Association. Dick’s even raised the age of who can purchase a gun from eighteen to twenty one.

People speculate that the guy behind the gun was mentally ill. Mental illness can be linked to what some may consider crazy, but also anxiety and depression. This could ultimately lead to suicide.

According to a website called, “Who,” about one million people commit suicide each year. For every one committed, 20 are attempted. The rate is 16 for every one hundred thousand people as of 2011.

Rap artist Sir Robert Bryson Hall II, better known as Logic, wrote a song about a gay black male who came out about his sexuality to his father. In the video, viewers get to see what the young man went through and how it all ended for him. He ended up marrying the man of his dreams all because he called the national suicide hotline.

1-800-273-8255 is not only the title of the popular song, but of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline itself. Logic created the song to help people find a way to talk about what is going on. Since the release of the song, the hotline now has the second highest call volume  with a thirty three percent increase in calls since 2016.

While the song was trending, a hashtag know as #MeToo has been retweeted, shared, and used for victims or rape and sexual allegations. It all started with film producer Harvey Weinstein. In October of 2017, two women who acted in movies produced by Weinstein came forward and told their story on how they were sexually assaulted by him.

This opened new doors to the history behind Hollywood itself. In the past, film makers and producers would prey on and exploit vulnerable men and women’s desire to become famous. No one wanted to speak on the scandal until 2017.

In 2018, the hashtag #MeToo went viral for those who have ever been sexually assaulted. This brought the community together as a whole, and brought light to those who were involved in the crime while giving a voice to victims who have been kept silent for years.

Another type of social media outlet is Youtube. Google posted two videos to this website. One was called, “Year in Search 2016,” and “Year in Search 2017.” This was to ring in the new year and show the top searches on google in the previous year. These videos make me believe that there is a glimmer of hope still waiting to be discovered, and it will open the doors to a better society.

People need to see that anything that can go wrong in our world, has a silver lining. If we constantly focus on the bad, then we will never fix anything, and today’s society will remain corrupt.

On the other hand, it is good to be well aware of the negative around. If everything was perfect, then people would not know what to do once something does go wrong. The bad in life is what creates the fighters, the strong.

But we must not hate the world around us just because positivity does not announce its presence.  A Vietnamese monk named Thich Nhat Hanh once said, “Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.”