“It’s More Than a Student Council, It’s a Right”

Alijah Jenkins, Staff Writer

All across America, students fight for their voices to be heard. Not all high schools have the same rights, and unfortunately, not all the time the administration listens. Some schools allow students to plan dances and other festivities, but should students be able to have a say in larger factors of school life?

“Students don’t have the power to change anything because no one listens.” says Karla Ayala, junior. So what should students be allowed to decide?

Those are all questions some schools already answered by creating an ASB club or any other club that that allows students to plan activities, but not all students feel that is enough. A student council on the other hand, allows the students more freedom in making decisions that affect all aspects of education.

A student council or student body government is a representative structure that allows students to debate issues of concern and take initiative to benefit the school and the wider community. Most are made up of a president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer. The members bring ideas, requests, and feedback to the meetings and a democratic process is used to give students a voice and make decisions.

Certain tasks are held by different member in the class. For example,

President: Responsible for planning and running meetings, delegating tasks, and for holding people accountable.

1st / 2nd Vice President: Responsible for assisting the president.

Secretary: Responsible for taking notes at all meetings and emailing those notes to all council members.

Treasurer: Responsible for budgeting and managing money.

Different schools run their councils differently. Some students may meet daily or weekly to discuss issues going on. Depending if the government is separated by grade, some students may have different responsibilities than others. Most importantly, students have control on what goes on in their school and it makes their surroundings more enjoyable.

The fact is only 2 out of 5 schools in the United States have a supportive student body. Less than half of the student voices are being heard.

Studies show that students who feel they don’t have the support they need, wont academically excel at the rate most students should.

Lupita Zamora junior, in a school with a similar club, but not exactly the same. “It gives the students a voice. It helps form a consensus of what students want or need. The administration can’t always fulfill every student’s need.”

Not only can students gain representation, but most students in these clubs gain lifelong skills in the process. Organization, speaking skills, and professionalism are all attributes that students can take with them after high school to benefit them in the outside world.

A student at Citrus Hill High School student went from being shy, soft spoken person to a outgoing leader in a matter of months.

Destiny Gonzalez, a junior at Citrus, has gained a tremendous amount from being in her school’s student body. “When I first was suggested the class, I was completely uninterested.” she said, “I didn’t think anyone like me could make a difference at my school. But I went ahead and went for it, and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.”

When students are asked if a student body government is important, most deem it necessary. It doesn’t require much funding, and it allows students to have a larger purpose at school while achieving education.

Clearly students think this club is important, but how important do teachers think it is?

Some teachers may not see it as quite as important as students, but in the end it could potentially help them out.

Student council advisor, Ms. Martinez, of Citrus Hill High, said “The student body does an enormous amount of work. They help the school more than students think. As their advisor, I can say that this club is an essential part of school. Schools who don’t have a student council should consider adopting one.”

So what stops schools who don’t have more than an event-planning club? Is it the cost? The responsibility?

Ms. Martinez answered this with great depth. “Schools don’t understand all the positives that come from these clubs. And sadly, some schools don’t believe students have enough responsibility to deal with these kind of problems. But it teaches them responsibility and allows them to excel in more factors of life.”

“It’s more than a student council, It is a student’s right.”

About the Writer
Alijah Jenkins, Staff Writer, Web Designer

Alijah Jenkins, 17, is an ambitious, opinionated, intelligent, articulate, humorous, driven, and independent person. His interests include poetry and...