Filed under Features, Student Life

Teens with Social Anxiety Disorder Often Suffer Alone in Silence

It was a warm and sunny morning. One of the sunniest mornings in all of spring. Inside a room, Samantha Johnson, makes an artificial night. She sits on her bed crying about all the bad that has happened the past years, yet she still forces herself up and gets ready for another challenging day at school.

She arrives at school and forces a smile on her face, as if everything is okay… settled. No one knows the truth. No one bothered to ask if she’s okay. I mean after all she was the girl that always had a smile on her face. No one could possibly tell she was upset, and that’s exactly what she wanted.

But more than anything else, she wanted someone to realize she wasn’t okay. She wanted someone to ask her how she was. Then again, how could anyone notice if she was always smiling and laughing. The only people who knew were her friends, but they can’t do much about it.

“I’m constantly thinking about my worries, I can never truly focus in class.” said Samantha Johnson (name has been changed for privacy reasons).  

According to socialanxietydisorder.net, some people with social anxiety disorder do very poorly academically and some may even drop out of school if the anxiety is too much to bear. This proves how mental illnesses can make deep affects into students lives.

The most common mental illnesses are anxiety and depression. About 20 percent of teens will experience depression before the reach adulthood, Whereas 25 percent have suffered from anxiety. This is a large group of students who are forced to wake up and go to school no matter the situation.

Most teens are not receiving treatment for their mental illnesses, and that can become an issue. They become distracted in school and won’t be able to focus on whatever it is they’re working on.

Stress levels for teens with anxiety are especially high when having to do an oral presentation. Most kids with anxiety dread doing that. It could even potentially cause a panic attack.

“Why is it that when a kid breaks his leg, he no longer has to participate in physical education, BUT when a student has social anxiety they have to present a project no matter what. Which could possibly lead to a panic attack.” said Tobias Cervantes (name has been changed)

Separation of parents tend to be a leading cause in depression in kids and teens. So is the use of drugs, and alcohol. Sometimes even traumatic events that occur when you’re younger.

“My depression first began when my parents divorced, I had just turned seven,” Samantha said. “I was close to my parents especially my father. When he left, I was devastated he wouldn’t come see us, my sisters and me.”

Though you might think you’re an independent being that doesn’t need anything from your parents, you still have emotional and physical needs for attention. The lack of parental attention could lead to depression.

“My mother would throw herself into her work and avoid the house at any chance,” Samantha said. “The only people I had were my sisters, they would lock themselves in their rooms and would never talk to me. This led to me feeling like an outcast. Someone who wasn’t wanted.”

As for anxiety, difficulty in concentrating can lead to poor work completion and performance on exams and assignments.

“Yes, especially on my work. I tend to push it aside, or I’ll just never do it. It caused my grades to drop a lot actually.” Samantha said.

Tobias thinks that it affects teens so much when it comes to social interactions. As said in an article, mental illnesses affect students in classrooms when it comes to social interactions and classroom work. He’s constantly worried about having to do presentations, and he’s always scared of having to talk to new people. When it comes to things that normal people would do without a problem he has trouble with it.

Social anxiety is a growing threat to young people that needs to be addressed in order to combat it’s negative implications on a person’s life.

“My social anxiety first began when I was in the first grade,” Samantha said. “I was walking up a stage and fell in the middle. Most children laughed and I ran out. I have always been afraid of talking or presenting in public, as it is the most common fear between people, but ever since then it has become worse. I can’t stand in front of a class without stiffening, or becoming red. It become worse when I couldn’t be in a group of people, like a party, without having a panic attack.”

About the Writer
Stephanie Medina, Staff Writer

She is a warm-hearted and caring person. But she is also very awkward when you first meet her, but as you get closer to her she's a different person; she...

1 Comment

One Response to “Teens with Social Anxiety Disorder Often Suffer Alone in Silence”

1. KyraKy on June 27th, 2018 9:19 am

In highschool, college and my early professional career — thank god I made it — I could never fit in. I never felt comfortable. It was painful meeting friends and going to events. I was taking 3 medications.

I decided to understand WHY this was happening to me, and realized there are countless people who were in worst situations than myself who climbed out of it.

For anyone reading this I spent money on advice, programs and found so much great help and support, like social media groups, programs by experts like http://www.forgetmyanxiety.com/isr-method-now and just believing in my self. Now i’m making a ton more money and in a awesome relationship… You can do this, we only get life once.

Who says the next life gets any easier?