Filed under Features, Student Life

Surviving the Global Pandemic

Living with senioritis: It can be done

Albert Alvarez wakes up and leans over to hit the snooze button on his alarm that’s set for 6 o’clock every school day of the week. Five minutes go by and another alarm goes off. Again he hits the snooze button. 10 minutes goes by, once again hits the snooze button. The third time, he ends up missing the alarm and wakes up to only 15 minutes left to get ready and go to school. He wakes up, rushes to brush his teeth, throws on his sweatpants, a hoodie, and zooms for the door. He doesn’t have time to eat anything and starts his rush to school. The first period bell rings and Albert’s barely crossing the street to school, and he’s now late. On his way to class is when he remembers the five page paper for his AVID class is due the day of, but didn’t bother finishing it. He actually didn’t bother doing almost none of his homework, and not only for that night, but for the past couple of weeks! He’s caught… SENIORITIS.

Senioritis. That time of year where many seniors come across a stance where they reach a lack of motivation and performance, due to anxiousness and having the thought of “I deserve a break from all of this work and dedication I’ve put in the last three, four years, so now it’s time for me to kick back, have fun, and relax. I’m going to graduate this year anyways. I’ll be good.”  

According to the article, ”Spotting ‘senioritis’ in your high school senior – and what to do about it”, by Heather Hamilton, senioritis is a long-documented condition occurring in the high school senior, characterized by a general apathy brought on by extreme working conditions and a light at the end of the tunnel. While this may be a slight exaggeration, many students experience some form of “senioritis.”

Senioritis is easy to spot because it is often characterized by extreme vocalization. Statements like “I’m so tired of this,” or  “Why even bother at this point?” and “I don’t care anymore” are frequently heard by those around the senior. You may also notice a general lack of genuine care about academic subjects, extreme tiredness, or a general change in engagement with the academic world around the senior.

Symptoms of senioritis are variable. The typical infected senior you may see sleeping, face down on the desk, with viciously loud headphones plugged into their ears. Most cases of senioritis tend to start after college applications and when mid-year reports have been sent in, which is usually around 2nd semester, but those students who are unlucky enough, catch senioritis during first semester. This leads to students not doing any work whatsoever (especially homework and studying), skipping class a lot, getting stoned/drunk for the first time ever or making it a daily routine, being uninterested about everything, and resenting taking all those hard classes to impress your favorite college which you won’t get in most likely because it’s too expensive, or having a sense of anxiousness of being too homesick and not being able to cope with the distance.

According to a survey taken by NorthWood High School, in Pittsboro, N.C. , 78 percent of seniors say they experience senioritis.

Senioritis effects plenty of seniors in various ways. Whether it’s from skipping class and sleeping in, to a lack of interest in a majority of their daily life activities, to doing little to no work, senioritis affects everyone’s grade! Point blank. Whether its one class to even half or accumulating more then half failing grades.

“Senioritis has gave me a decrease in my grades,” Alana Carmona, senior, stated. “I haven’t been wanting to go to school or do any types of work.”

Senioritis brings about a lack of being on time to school and motivation of getting ready in the morning. For some that don’t have enough motivation to do so, they count on the help of others in the household to give them the help and push they need.

“I set 4 alarms in the morning and turn them all off and I wouldn’t come to school if my sister didn’t wake me up and make me come,” Joesset Martinez, a senior, stated. “If it weren’t for her, I wouldn’t be here at school as often.”

Being backed up from days, to even weeks worth of work is the credit of senioritis. Since you obviously lose a lack of motivation for almost everything, especially homework, all those assignments add up which result the individual to be in some serious deep waters, which can take up to days or weeks to catch up on. Adding even more stress and anxiety.

“When you fall behind you begin to understand what it means to be drowning in school work,” senior Marvin Bolanos explained. “Having so much to do just drags you down and it feels like you have a weight chained onto you.”

Even though as drastic as the results can be from catching senioritis, there is still hope at the end of the tunnel to get back on track to the right path. Many who have experienced this life changing phenomenon say that senioritis can be controllable – there are solutions and ways to cope with senioritis, such as gaining motivation through a new way to help bring up grades and push towards graduation.

“Senioritis can actually be controlled because it’s all in the person honestly,” Tania Jimenez, senior, stated. “I’m trying to get rid of it because I don’t want to ruin my future, and as cliche as that sounds, it’s true. I’m not about to end up like some of my older friends who don’t even go to college anymore because they can’t handle the work. I’m trying to use the thought of graduation coming up soon, to help motivate me and push myself until the end.”

Beginning of freshman year felt like a drag. It felt as if that year was never going to end. Three years or so later, and here I am about to graduate. I’ve finally learned how to cope with senioritis, to not let it risk my opportunity of graduating. Taking it day by day. Knowing that as every day goes by, I’m a day closer to graduation. A day closer to entering the real world, where teachers aren’t going to hold my hand anymore, parents are going to expect more from me and adulthood is going  to hit me like a train.

1 Comment

One Response to “Surviving the Global Pandemic”

1. Brice Cordova on May 5th, 2018 10:03 am

Love the story, it’s very relatable! And it’s definitely a story I like reading as a senior

Surviving the Global Pandemic