The Two Sides of Valentine’s Day

Jasmine Jara, senior, shows off her life-sized teddy bear on Valentine's Day.

Albert Alvarez, Staff Writer

Every year on February 14th, many couples, friends, family, etc. exchange gifts with their special “valentine” to show their love and appreciation for one another.

Valentine’s Day is a holiday that has just about two moods. The first mood: loving everything about valentines day, from the cherry-red roses to the heart-shaped chocolate boxes that are gifted around.

“I love valentines day so much,” Jennifer Carbajal, a student at Moreno Valley High School, said. “I love all the roses and chocolates, I love seeing all the hearts and all the gifts being traded. It’s just a holiday where love is in the air and I can say I enjoy it a little too much. I just wish there were more days like this out of the year to celebrate.”

Or, this day can be a day where you want to punch every couple you see in the face and has your eyes rolling when you see oversized teddy bears being dragged around and shown off.

“I hate this stupid holiday,” Danni, a junior at Moreno Valley High School said. “All these dumb couples with their overpriced gifts and chocolates just trying to show off for the attention. I just want to rip all the teddy bears I see. This day is dumb because why should we show our love and affection to each other only on this day of the year? It should be more than just that.”

Valentine’s day is a day where people of all ages, races, and ethnicities are able to show their love and appreciation for each other through gifts, dates, or affection. It’s a day where all ages and groups of people participate in this holiday. From teenagers, to elementary school kids, to parents and teachers. And many enjoy and crave the attention they receive.

“It feels great to be appreciated or shown love and affection,” Kelly Rodriguez, Senior at Moreno Valley HIgh School said. “I feel happy and like someone cares about me. I feel calmed and excited when im shown appreciation. Makes me feel uplifted.”

Many people get to experience a new path in their lives on this holiday –  taking a step further into their love life and future, such as being given a promise ring by your significant other, promising a future with the one you love.

Like senior, Melissa Sosa, who was surprised with a special gift on Valentines day.

“To me, Valentines Day didn’t mean anything for me… but today I got a promise ring from my boyfriend,” senior Melissa Sosa said. “So my meaning for Valentine’s Day did change a lot. I’m am very happy I got a promise ring, it is such a great feeling to know somebody cares this much for you. I felt like a little girl at Disneyland for the first time, I felt like jumping and screaming. Ask me how my Valentine’s Day was and I’ll just show you my ring and smile.”

1 Comment

One Response to “The Two Sides of Valentine’s Day”

1. Jesse Gallarzo on March 5th, 2018 3:43 pm

This is an interesting topic. I for one think that there is a need for Valentines day. I get the argument that one’s love should be given everyday and not celebrated on just one day. I suppose to some extent I agree. In my opinion, however, love should be celebrated everyday, yes, but it’s really nice and special to be able to celebrate it on one special day with the rest of the world. Kinda cool when you think about it.

Just sayin’

[Reply]

• Slideshows

High School Relationships: More Than They Are Cracked Up To Be

• The Two Sides of Valentine’s Day

Opinion

SMILE

• The Two Sides of Valentine’s Day

Student Life

Teachers and counselors celebrate Students’ Final College Choices After SIR Day

• The Two Sides of Valentine’s Day

Sports

Genesis Miranda Wins 8th In The Nation at the Girls CIF State Wrestling Championship

• The Two Sides of Valentine’s Day

Student Life

Senior AVID Students Recognized at UCR

• The Two Sides of Valentine’s Day

Opinion

March for Teens

• The Two Sides of Valentine’s Day

Slideshows

#ENOUGH

• The Two Sides of Valentine’s Day

Features

Drowning in Senioritis

• The Two Sides of Valentine’s Day

Features

The Never-ending Pain of Heartbreak

• The Two Sides of Valentine’s Day

Features

Freshman Year Matters

The Two Sides of Valentine’s Day