Lady Vikings Upset Vista Del Lago Ravens in Third JV Match of the Season

Kayonna Williams

Kayonna Williams, Staff Writer

With basketball season on the go, Moreno Valley and Vista Del Lago junior varsity girls went head to head at Bayside for Moreno Valley’s home game.

The third game of the season took place at three in the afternoon on a Tuesday.  The Vista team was on a losing streak of two games from losing to Rubidoux and San Bernardino. However, the Moreno Valley team was on a two-game winning streak from beating Rubidoux and San Bernardino.

“This point in the season the wins aren’t reflective of our skills. I hope the players would approach each game with the goal of improving,” Vista Del Lago Coach Nkere said before the game.

She had planned for her team to show “sportsmanship” and for the players to “come out hard” in order to play the game to their fullest.

The players for Vista were Karina, number one, Marissa, number two, Kalani, number three, Syanny, number 5, Frankie, number 7, Callie, number 8, Mikayla, number 25, and Diamond, number 32.

The players for Moreno Valley were Chanta, number one, Talani Harris, number four, Kennadi Haynesworth, number 5, Anaya Raymond, number 6, Leah Mackey, number 15, Jamiyah Jackson, number 21, Abby Hildebrand, number 22, Imia Nicholls, number 23, and Aaliyah Black, number 42.

The first quarter ended with Vista having four points and Moreno Valley having 14 points. Moreno Valley were able to get a ten point head start.

Vista’s Callie was the only one to score for Vista making four points. For Moreno Valley, Chanta scored one three, Talani scored two points, Jamiyah scored four points, Abby scored two points, and Aaliyah scored three points.

The second quarter ended with the score four to 22 with Moreno Valley scoring 18 more points and Vista scoring no points.

For Moreno Valley, Chanta scored two points, Kennadi scored two points, Leah scored two points, Jamiyah scored five points, Mia scored four points, and Aaliyah scored three points.

The third quarter ended with the score 45 to five with Moreno Valley scoring 22 points and Vista scoring one point. The gap between the scores was then by 40 points.

For Vista, Callie scored one point from a free throw. For Moreno Valley, Chanta scored two points, Kennadi scored four points, Leah scored two points, and Jamiyah scored four points.

The fourth quarter; which marked the end of the game, ended with the score 59 to five. Vista scored no points and Moreno Valley scored 14 points causing the gap between the score to be by 54 points.

For Moreno Valley, Chanta scored five points, Abby scored seven points, and Aaliyah scored two points.

Moreno Valley was able to keep their winning streak and Vista kept their losing streak. The players from Moreno Valley gave the other team high fives while saying “good game” with big smiles on their face.