Times Are Changing; Let’s Catch Up

Two lesbian moms, Susan and Cheryl, pay a visit to the Duncan family household for the Jan. 26, 2014, episode of “Good Luck Charlie.” Disney's decision to air an episode featuring openly gay parents sparked criticism among some viewers.

Alana Carmona, Staff Writer

There is a controversial debate going around about whether or not kid’s channels should show gay or LGBTQ couples and characters in their shows. There are so many reasons why this is actually one of the best ideas being pitched by these networks.

Disney did this in a hit television show called “Good Luck Charlie.” The show is about a girl that makes video diaries that her baby sister can watch as she gets older. In one episode, Charlie has a play date with a kid who has two moms. This caused great discussion in the Disney community, but overall received a great deal of  praise from same-sex couples. Miley Cyrus showed her approval by tweeting, “I commend Disney for making this step into the light of this generation, they control…so much of what kids think! Life isn’t bright sets & wardrobe & kids becoming superstars! This is INSPIRING.” On the other hand some people did not agree with Disney’s choices saying they should “avoid controversial topics that children are far too young to comprehend.”(One Million Moms organization.)

Growing up, we look up to the characters that we see on our tv screens. Most people that I had this conversation with say that they would not feel comfortable with their kids watching this type of content. Though I respect their opinion, I would have to disagree. Personally, I would feel more comfortable with a show that my kids could relate to explaining what same sex love is or what it means to be LGBTQ. It would be hard for me to do so because I am straight, so I would not know exactly what to say.

A main argument that is repeatedly brought up is that shows that promote a gay lifestyle could influence our children to be gay. But we have to take account for the fact that kids who are gay watch shows with straight characters and that does not make them any less gay. Or it is like saying if you play GTA or anything aggressive, you will want to go out and kill someone. That is not how things work.

I cannot explain how people who like the same sex think, or even try to logically explain it because there is no explanation for the way people feel. Having shows with gay characters shows diversity and it might even make people feel less alone in the world. Not only that, but it might help people become more optimistic and open to the idea of same sex marriage. Times are changing, and maybe it is time to catch up with them.

1 Comment

One Response to “Times Are Changing; Let’s Catch Up”

1. christina on December 12th, 2017 11:02 am

in all honesty its a good idea but for older childeren

[Reply]

• Times Are Changing; Let’s Catch Up

A&E

Bah Humbug!

• Times Are Changing; Let’s Catch Up

A&E

Taika Waititi Brings Down the Hammer in Thor Ragnarok

• Times Are Changing; Let’s Catch Up

A&E

Rapper Hopsin releases new album ‘No Shame’

• Times Are Changing; Let’s Catch Up

A&E

Sam Smith Sings About Heartbreak and Healing

• Times Are Changing; Let’s Catch Up

A&E

Peace, Love and Positivity

• Times Are Changing; Let’s Catch Up

A&E

Beauty and the…Power Outage?

• A&E

Whiplash: A Homage to the Human Spirit

• Times Are Changing; Let’s Catch Up

A&E

DAMN.

• A&E

Overwatch Worthy Of The Best Game Title

• A&E

The Philosophy of Rick and Morty

Times Are Changing; Let’s Catch Up