Filed under Showcase, Student Life

MOVAL’S GOT SPIRIT

The 2017 homecoming dance kicked off with music and dancing in the MPR following a win at the homecoming game Friday night, October 13th.

Before the dance began, the homecoming king and queen were announced during the halftime of the homecoming football game. The nominees were Jasmine Jara and Jose Valles, Jewel Barrows and Jacari Mckinney, Melissa Sosa and Arthur Hoskins, and Darryl Towns and Kalea Pleasant, but it was Sosa and Hoskins who won the crown.

Homecoming King Arthur Hoskins said he was in shock and awe as he heard his name called for the win along side his girlfriend Melissa Sosa.

“I think it was the happiest moment in my life when they called her name,” Hoskins said. “I was so relieved I didn’t have to dance with anyone else.”

Nominee Jose Valles wasn’t upset as he said he felt accomplished.

“I didn’t think I would make it this far, the competition was tough.” Valles said. “I’m proud of them [the winners], I still congratulated them.”

The event went on to take approximately three hours to set up as explained by senior and ASB member Thomas Miranda.

“It was stressful and a lot of work,” Miranda said. The only thing he said he’d change is the date to Saturday as it would seem more formal.

Though Joe Carmona, senior, who was having a good time said the only thing he’d change is he’d probably wear a different colored shirt.

Because the football game had gone into overtime, it was a while before the dance really got started. It was when the Spanish music began playing that almost everyone got up to dance.

Gabriel Payan, junior, wasn’t too happy about the other song choices as he said that all the music was “twerking music.”

“They should play some paisa a** sh**.” Payan said.

The theme of this years homecoming was “tooning it back” which was chosen as a vote by ASB members, but Payan said he felt the theme could have been better and more creative.

“I was hoping it’d be a Halloween theme since it’s Friday the thirteenth.” Nady Ayala, sophomore, said.

The night then came to an end as the clock struck midnight. The dance lasted about two hours before it was time to call it a night.

The homecoming dance was a capstone to Spirit Week, A week long exhibit of school spirit.

Monday was matching Monday, Tuesday was Tiki-Tuesday, Wednesday was Walt Disney Wednesday, Thursday was Tie-dye Thursday and Friday was represent your class color Friday.

Many participated in the events, such as seniors Ruben Perez and his girlfriend Jazmin Torres. They decided to match as he stated that she had even copied him on the idea of participating, though Perez said he would have liked something different in regards to theme.

“I wish they would have did a sports theme.” Perez said. “I did Jersey day. I made it a thing.”

Other people took part in the matching event including ASB president Odalys Palomares and ASB secretary Maria Chilapa.

“We wanted to wear a shirt both of us would have and we decided that we both had an AVID shirt so we wore that one.” Chilapa said.

As the week progressed, the day in which most students participated in was representing their class color. Because the first pep rally was on the same day, many came with face paint and headbands to show school spirit.

In the afternoon, the support continued when staff and students attended the homecoming football game which lead to the homecoming dance.

“I won king, I won the game, enjoyed the dance. I couldn’t ask for much else.” Hoskins said. “Only thing that could top that is prom, that’s for sure.”