Filed under News, Opinion

Taking a Knee

Throughout the entire National Football League some of the players have been taking knees during the National Anthem.

They are protesting police brutality.

Colin Kaepernick is the man who started this entire protest. Ever since he started this protest he was fired from the Forty Niners and is now a free agent. President Trump and other coaches of the National Football League are saying players are disrespecting the flag. Trump called for players who kneeled during the National Anthem to be fired or sanctioned.

I think that anyone has the right to protest something they don’t like. It is part of our first amendment rights. Which says we have freedom of religion, press, speech, petition, and assembly. We are all allowed to say what we want, so why not protest police brutality?

Police brutality should be protested.

Police are killing way too many innocent people or hurting them. This has been going on for too many years. Each year around 250 innocent black men are killed by police a year. If nobody says anything about police brutality then it will never stop.

National Football League players should not be fired for standing up for what they believe in. Everyone should be protesting police brutality by kneeling or doing something that gets everyone around the world’s attention on police brutality. If players get fired for something positive, then it will make the National Football League look like they are supporting something negative.

There are a lot of people who disagree with my argument. Those people think that players who kneel should all be fired. They think that Colon was disrespecting the United States flag. This is what people say that disagree with me. The coaches should fire all the players who take a knee during the National Anthem. Colin Kaepernick is disrespecting our flag and starting a whole event of other teams disrespecting our flag too. Police brutality could and should be dealt with a different way. They can take it to court and sue every cop who has killed an innocent or unarmed person.

I agree that police brutality is wrong but disrespecting the flag should not be allowed anywhere in America. If people continue to kneel during the National Anthem we should all leave the game. Kaepernick is not only disrespecting the flag but he is disrespecting military war veterans. If I was playing football I would stand with my right hand over my heart during the National Anthem. Military war veterans fought hard for us and it would be a shame to tarnish the name of our flag. There are many other ways to approach police brutality;that is what someone would say who disagreed with my opinion.

Players are allowed to kneel during the National Anthem because of the first amendment. The First Amendment gives us the right to freedom of speech as long as we are not breaking any laws. None of the players violated the constitution or rules by kneeling. Just because players kneel doesn’t mean they are disrespecting war veterans. I’m sure all National Football League players respect the veterans who fought for our nation.

Kneeling should be done in the National Football League because if it wasn’t, no one would have noticed police brutality as much as we have now.

Colin Kaepernick is doing what we want to do but are too scared or don’t have the voice to do. If anyone is against kneeling and walks out the game they are basically saying that they support police brutality. Police brutality is something that needs to be stopped and I support kneeling during the National Anthem if it stops it or reduces it.