Filed under A&E

Peace, Love and Positivity

Logic's newest album is for Everybody.

Not only is Logic’s newest album “Everybody” an album with good beats and clever rhymes, but an album with a message deeper than what it’s given credit for.

Sir Robert Bryson Hall II, better known by his stage name Logic, has been a prominent figure in the music industry ever since his release of his first mixtape “Psychological” in 2009, but it wasn’t until he released his first studio album “Under Pressure” in 2014 that the real recognition began.

“Everybody” came out in May of 2017 with thirteen songs on the tracklist, though it was song number twelve that debuted the rest of the album a month before the full release with the title “Black Spider Man.” The song is about accepting diversity. As he raps, he’s talking through different perspectives in the intention to give a voice to those who feel they don’t have one. The intention of the title is to express how it shouldn’t matter if a decision is taken to make Spider Man black, it shouldn’t be a big deal because in the end it shouldn’t make things any different, just as expressed in the opening song “Hallelujah.”

“Hallelujah” is introduction to “open your mind” for what Logic has to say throughout the albumㄧhe has a new vision, something he wants to voice. We are all sinners in this world, but we are all equal. He wants to share this idea of a new religion, one in which we can not only be equal but feel it too. In the end, a man named Atom gets into a car accident where he dies and ends up in a place between heaven and hell. He is then heard having a conversation with a “God” about reincarnation which later plays on in the rest of the album. The talk isn’t continued until track nine but has a good follow up to the song “Confess,”  a song about a man who is praying, repenting, cursing to the heavens, wanting someone to save him. Logic is only rapping what the man is thinking while featured artist, Killer Mike, raps what the man is actually saying as he is angry and questioning why the world is as messed up as it is. To continue adding on to how and why the world is so wrong, the song “Killing Spree” shows a perfect example. This song is a representation about society and where the focus is at; “a**, ti**ies, p***y, money, weed.” It’s about the stereotypes and how much effect it has on people by what they post or see on social media as he says in the song; “Everybody looking for the meaning of life through a cell phone screen.” This is true in the sense that too many people spend time speculating at each other’s life instead of living their own.

Now let’s take it to track five, “Take it back.” Following his previous message about equality for every race, Logic opens up about his personal experiences as being biracial. Being both black and white, he has faced discrimination and he has faced hate for talking about it simply because of the color of his skin. This song is about his struggle and it paints a picture of his story and what he’s witnessed, which takes us to the following track “America.” America is supposedly built on the American dream yet realistically, America was built on slavery. “America” is a political song that calls out all the current wrongs as he even takes shots at President Trump. The shots were cleverly thought out enough to make you realize that this man cares enough to really take a stand about what he believes in as he says “George Bush don’t care about black people, 2017 and Donald Trump is a sequel.”

“Ink Blot.” A possible follow up for “Killing Spree”? This song is about a rapper’s frustration seeing the way other artists rap about things just to flaunt them without actually knowing what they’re talking about. Again, it’s about gaining that popularity due to what society sees fit while others legitimately talk about what’s important or what matters.

It’s no doubt that Logic is a very respected man who really just wants this world to be a better place and wants to spread this message through his music. He has had many other artists who have inspired and helped him do this as he mentions them in his song “Mos Definitely.” This this song it’s basically an homage to them, it’s a shout out to those who he has taken the inspiration from.

“Waiting Room,” track nine, isn’t a song, but a continuation of the conversation that left off in “Hallelujah.” It’s a skit. A skit where God explains to Atom how he will be reincarnated. God explains to Atom that he is every person who had ever lived which takes us back to “Hallelujah” where Logic talks about a new religion, one where we are all equal, and every human being shares the same soul. This skit opens up about how everyone is different and goes through their own things such as pain or even happiness so that in order for Atom to understand the meaning of life he would need to live in the position of every human. The skit ends with God saying life is precious and this is a great transition to track  “1-800-273-8255.” Not only is the title of the song a phone number but the phone number of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. This is the song that truly sparked popularity because it’s based on such an important topic that could have quite possibly saved lives. The first verse of the song is someone on the phone with the lifeline, asking for help and talking about how they just don’t want to be alive. It’s so blunt and straight forward simply because there is no sugarcoating suicide. The hotline number is there for people who feel alone and need help when no one is there for them. The second verse of the song is the operator on the other line responding to them about how they should be alive and giving reasons as to why which is what makes this song so great. There is so much to take from this as anyone struggling with something right now.

Not only is depression and suicidal thoughts a common issue but anxiety as well, and that’s the following track, “Anziety.” This song is about anxiety existing only to remind you to focus on the good days and appreciate the moments he [Anziety] is not around. Realistically, maybe it’s not all about being okay all of the time or living a perfect life but about recognizing why you’re living when things actually are going okay. The final song, lasting twelve minutes and eight seconds is “AfricAryan.” This last song is about Logic’s biracial background and again emphasizing that no matter where you come from or no matter the color of your skin is, everyone is equal. This song also concludes the skit between Atom and God where God basically tells him that no matter what, he’s going to have to go live his life in a positive way. Nothing or no one defines you and that’s the way things are. Acceptance beings from within.

This album is for everybody because that’s who it represents, that’s who it’s for; Everybody.

About the Writer
Camila Gonzalez, Editor

Camila could be described as awkwardly awkward, but just like a vegetarian lasagna she has layers to her. What you see is not what you get with this mysterious...