Filed under News, Showcase

MVHS hosts AP and Honors Night to Inform and Engage Parents

Mr. Quintero discusses the benefits of taking AP and honors classes with parents in the multi-purpose room on Wednesday, February 22.

On February 22, students,parents, teachers and administrators gathered in the MPR for an informational meeting about Advanced Placement and Honor classes.

Moreno Valley High School offers a variety of  honor and advanced placement classes to all four grade levels and this informational meeting allowed the parents to know what their kids were being offered.

Assistant Principal Mr. Quintero and counselor started the event with a presentation outlining the benefits of taking AP Honors classes. They also went over the expectations, such as about an hour and a half of homework or studying every night for each AP or honors class a student is enrolled in.

“The reason [for the event] was to inform parents about the rigor and importance of these classes and to make sure they’re involved with their kid’s education,” Cruz said.

The event not only allowed the parents to get more acknowledge about the classes, but to get the opportunity to meet the teachers and ask them any questions they might have.

Irma Cedilla, mother to Aylin and Alex Cedillo, says she would keep the event the same and she wouldn’t change anything about it because she found it very interesting. Both of her children currently taking four AP classes each and Mrs. Cedillo “know[s] they work hard”.

Junior Dannelle Conchas believes that the event “ as a junior was not as helpful as it would’ve been” had she been offered the opportunity to go to it as an underclassman. Conchas decided to take honor classes because “ as a freshman [she] enjoyed having [her] english teacher and her class inspired [her] to go to a higher english.”

David Anyakora, also a junior, said that he decided to take AP classes because it gave him a bump in his GPA and because “other classes weren’t as rigorous.” Although he found the event to be informational, he said he thought the presentation would have been better if it were more interactive.

“A student’s response and opinion would have been useful to those entering the advanced programs,” Anyakora said.