Halftime Show Goes Gaga

Daniel Alba, Contributing Writter

On Sunday, February 5th 2017, Lady Gaga took the stage and performed for the Super Bowl LI halftime show, probably the biggest stage in her career. Billboard reported that her performance garnered “an astounding 117.5 million viewers, making it the second-most-viewed halftime show in Super Bowl history.” For someone with no guest stars and a boycott from some conservatives, I think that is impressive.

She opened up with a medley of “God Bless America” and “This Is Your Land” at the roof of the stadium (note: this scene was pre-recorded a week prior the event, possibly for safety precautions), she then jumped down to sing her throwback hit “Poker Face,” giving us P!nk vibes with her flying acrobatics. Close to the three-minute mark she came down to the stage and performed her LGBT+ anthem, “Born This Way,” one of my favorites from the set list because she sang her iconic line, “No matter gay, straight, or bi, lesbian transgendered life, I’m on the right track baby, I was born to survive” with homophobic Vice President, Mike Pence, present at the game. She followed with “Telephone,” which I hoped for Beyonce and the twins to show up for some reason, and continued with “Just Dance.” Gaga slowed things down with her latest single, “Million Reasons.” I particularly liked how she gave a shout out to her parents during this song, it was adorable. Finally she ended her performance with the legendary “Bad Romance.” She screamed “Superbowl Fifty-One!” threw the mic, caught a football better than the Falcons, and jumped off stage.

With her recent album, Stefani Germanotta, as this is Lady Gaga’s true name, displayed more of the Lady and left the Gaga behind so it was great that we got a glance into the old Gaga. Us high school students were in elementary school when she first debuted, so it was a nice throwback into our childhood to see her on such stage.

Now into a different topic, there was some hype involving whether or not she was going to be political. She did not manage to anger right winged audiences as much as Beyonce did last year, but she did send the message of inclusivity with “This Is Your Land” and “Born This Way.” Lady Gaga did not have to make an extravagant political statement because she has done so throughout her career. It is understandable that she did not want to divide the country even more than what it is right now. Gaga put up a show that everyone would enjoy without giving up her moral values. LEGEND. What’s important is that a closeted gay kid in a small town saw a stadium full of people cheer to the idea that being “born this way” is okay. That’s what mattered.

Something that caught everyone’s attention was her body. Many were shaming her stomach because it was not perfectly flat. She took to Instagram on the following Tuesday to address the body shaming. In the caption she stated, “I hear my body is a topic of conversation so I wanted to say, I’m proud of my body and you should be proud of yours too. No matter who you are or what you do. I could give you a million reasons why you don’t need to cater to anyone or anything to succeed. Be you, and be relentlessly you. That’s the stuff of champions…” and that’s THAT!

On a positive note, the super bowl basically relaunched her career. All of her albums skyrocketed to the top of the iTunes chart. At some point she even had the top five albums. She’s taking advantage of the massive amount of promo right now and announced her world tour dates the Monday after the performance. She also announced that she’ll be a judge on RuPaul’s Drag Race on Tuesday. On Wednesday she released the music video for her song, John Wayne, on Apple Music. She’s also performing at the Grammy’s this next Sunday. Little Monsters are living at the fact that Lady Gaga is back and stronger than ever.