BTS’ New Album “Wings” Takes Flight

Maritza Zamarripa, Contributing Writer

BTS is a 7 member South Korean boy band formed in 2013 by BigHit Entertainment. Their main genres are k-pop, hip hop, and rap. The group is made up of 4 vocalist Jungkook, Jimin, V, and Jin. 3 rappers Rap Monster, Suga, and J-Hope. J-Hope and Jimin are the two main dancers. Their lyricist and producers are Rap-Monster and Suga. Their visual is Jin, and their leader is Rap Monster.

Their new album Wings was released on October 10, 2016 with short films to promote their album from September 4-13, 2016. The album involves a dark concept and uses quotes and heavy imagery from the book Demian by Hermann Hesse. The album’s genre includes hip hop, EDM, dance-pop, R&B, and trap. Each of the seven members wrote and produced a song themselves based off of their own ideas and experience. Some of these songs include Jungkook’s “Being”, which is about his experience going to Seoul and meeting the other members of the group. V’s “Stigma” which is described as “a song under the neon-soul genre”. J-Hope’s “MAMA” is about his childhood memories and emotions for his mother, and Jins “Awake” is about his first experience in co-composition.

The album ranked number one on U.S. Apple Music Kpop Chart and is the first kpop group in the nation to line up their full album on Apple Music Charts. A big part of this is because of the title track ‘Blood Sweat and Tears’ which took first place on the charts and even broke the record for the fastest Kpop group music video to reach 10 million views in 1.71 days (41 hours). Their leader Rap Monster states, “Blood Sweat and Tears is a song that shows how one thinks, chooses, and grows.” The song features delicate vocals, high notes, and tropical house melodies over pounding beats. The vocals tunes change throughout the musical shifts to match with the song. It includes gentle chimes, echoing sirens, synthesizing, and rhythmic claps layering over each other. The song lyrically is a pure love obsessed song.

The album has a very unique sound to it while still fitting in with the BTS’s style of music. It has definitely earned all its fame and success after being released for a short amount of time. The album ‘Wings’ is something I highly recommend whether you listen to k-pop or are new to the genre; it is definitely an album worth listening to. The BTS has earned their accomplishments and success with their new album which will continue to grow popular and break even more records worldwide.