Filed under Student Life

Teacher Academy Prepares Today’s Students to Become Tomorrow’s Teachers

Tabitha Solis
Mrs. Wilson, English teacher, is the adviser for the Teacher Academy.

In August, MVHS introduced a new program called the Teacher Academy. The three-year program introduces teaching skills and prepares students for a career in education.

The program was created by Joanna Barnett. She submitted an a-g course plan, got cooperation from the district, recruited students and got Ms. Nehme and Mr. Stone on board as the core class teachers. They had all worked on their three-year-program and planned field trips to make sure their students learn more about leadership.

“I think my favorite moment was when we visited a local elementary school for Dr. Seuss Day and a teacher actually left her classroom to tell me how wonderful the Teacher Academy students were with her second graders,” Wilson said.

The beginning of the school year the class went to San Bernardino to do a rope course. The core teachers believed the students would learn more about being a leader and becoming closer with their peers.

Team building is how I’d describe the atmosphere,” said Juan Valdivia, sophomore, who is current President of the program.

The students are put in the same English and History class. The students believe it is a way to become more familiar with each other.  Since they’ve all got this time to know each other, they describe the atmosphere as friendly and welcoming. Marlene Macias believes she’s found a real home in the classroom with constantly being with those she’s most comfortable with.

Not only does the program offer a friendly environment but, it also lets the kids peek into tasks teachers do.

“The curriculum has been eye opening such as I’ve noticed the tailored seating chart strategies teachers implement to influence a focus built dynamic,” Valdivia said.  

Ms. Wilson is currently teaching the academy. She took in the program after MVHS lost Mrs. Barnett. Although Wilson believes no one can truly take her place she is glad her students saw the positive and kept on going.

“The biggest challenge was obviously losing Mrs. Barnett, who meant so much to our campus. We didn’t want the program to die out, especially after she put so much hard work into it. I’m so proud of how my students handled that difficult time,” Wilson said.