Filed under Showcase, Student Life

MoVal Lights Up the Garden

Moval seniors gathered to celebrate one last dance together on April 29th for Prom at Etiwanda Gardens. The doors to the dance officially opened at 7pm, but the line had already made it to the street by the time people began walking into the building.

People walked in dressed in their best – tuxes and dresses selected specifically for the special night. The efforts put into the hair, makeup, dresses, shoes and all other aspects of each person walking in were evident.

Senior Itzelth Gamboa commented on the effort, saying that it was an “elevated” day where a person could go all out.

“I paid a lot of money because I love dressing up,” Gamboa says. “I just love dressing up. There was never gonna be another time other than maybe a wedding. And this was my chance to go all out.”

Diane Alba, senior, commented on how much to spend for prom night. Alba feels there should be a limit to how much a person spends on the evening.

“Don’t go all out,” Alba says. “Just go. Just go. Like all that limo sh*t, nails, okay hair is necessary but everything else is being extra. You’re being extra. Like everybody, in a room where everybody is gonna look good like it’s really not that deep to look exceptionally. It’s a waste of time trying to look better than everybody else because nobody cares.”

The dance was held in two main rooms. Both rooms were filled with round tables with japanese pieces in the center to match the theme. One room had the food and set up for photos. The second room had the DJ’s, dance floor and desserts. The main course of the meal consisted of a choice between chicken or steak and salad. The dessert had various types of cookies, pieces of cake and brownie pieces.

People began dancing after the main courses.

The music consisted mainly of two different genres. Students comment saying that the music was one of the only issues they had with prom.

“The music could have been more lit,” Alba said.

Alejandra Valdes, a senior, agreed with Alba, saying that the music didn’t have much variety.

“It was a lot, it was just too much of one genre.” Valdes says. “And it wasn’t songs you could dance to. And people danced just because they had to. I mean it’s prom, you kinda have to. But it wasn’t music that people liked as well. It was just one genre and Mexican music as well. Like it was okay, but it could have been a lot better.”

Apart from the music, there were few issues, and Alba and Valdes agreed that the prom had an overall appealing mood to it.

“Everybody was lit and if they weren’t they suck,” Alba said. “Generally everyone was like content. Even if they weren’t dancing or if they were dancing everybody was generally enjoying themselves.”

Valdes end her interview with a final comment of how she felt prom was overall.

“It was lit,” Valdes noted.